I have several requests to bring the Reading Classic Books Challenge back for 2021, and I am here to oblige. I’m glad that you enjoyed the challenge. How many times have you said that you need to read more classic books? If at any point you’ve made this claim, then this challenge is for you.
Welcome to the 2nd year of the Reading Classic Books Challenge! I am super excited about this challenge and hope you’ll join me throughout the year in reading more classics.
I want this challenge to be fun and stress-free. There are 12 challenge prompts but don’t feel like you have to do them all. Do as many as you want, and you can double up on the prompts. The goal is simple – read more classic books.
How to join:
The challenge runs from January 1 thru December 31, 2020
Create a sign-up post and leave the link in the link-up below. If you don’t have a blog, no worries. You can Tweet that you’ll be participating, do an Instagram post, or if you have Goodreads create a Reading Classic Books shelf and link to that shelf. You can also join the group on the Storygraph.
Don’t forget to put a link to this post if you’re signing up via blog, Twitter or Instagram.
1) ALL books must have been first published 50 years ago or earlier
2) Books must be read between January 1st and December 31st
3) Books may be used for up to two prompts
The Challenge Prompts:
1) Read a classic over 500 pages
2) Read a classic by a POC and/or with a POC as the main character
3) Read a classic that is not written by a Global North author
4) Read a classic in translation
5) Read a classic by a new to you author
6) Read a classic Sci/Fi or Fantasy
7) Read a classic written before 1800
8) Read a classic written by an LGBT author and/or with an LGBT main character
9) Read a classic written by a woman
10) Read a classic written by a Nobel Laureate
11) Read a classic nonfiction
12) Read a classic that has been banned or censored
FYI: If you’re participating in The Classics Club, you can still do this challenge. I’m using the creation of this challenge and the prompts to choose books from my Classics Club list.
You can also request a Buddy Read on Goodreads for that special book you want to read and enjoy with someone.
Make sure to follow Reading Classic Books on the following platforms because that’s where you’ll find group updates.