The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted over at Freda’s Voice. The rules are simple and go something like this.
Welcome to the inaugural Reading Classic Books! I am super excited about this challenge and hope you’ll join me throughout the year in reading more classics.
I want this challenge to be fun and stress free. There are 12 challenge prompts but don’t feel like you have to do them all. Do as many as you want. The goal is simple – read more classic books.
How to join:
The challenge runs from January 1 thru December 31, 2020
Create a sign up post and leave the link in the link up below. If you don’t have a blog no worries. You can Tweet that you’ll be participating, do an Instagram post or if you have Goodreads create a Reading Classic Books shelf and link to that shelf
Don’t forget to put a link to this post, if you’re signing up via blog, Twitter or Instagram.
On the 1st of the month, a link up will post where you will leave the link to your Review and there will be a link to the giveaway (hosted by Rafflecopter)
1) ALL books must have been first published 50 years ago or earlier
2) Books must be read between January 1st and December 31st
3) Books may be used for up to two prompts
There will be three book Giveaways valued up to $20 (USD) . **Giveaway is open to anyone The Book Depository ships to. How to enter will be posted with each giveaway.
|Giveaway Entry Period||Winner Announced|
|January 1 – April 30||May 8|
|May 1 – August 31||August 7|
|September 1 – December 31||January 8, 2021|
The Challenge Prompts:
1) Read a classic over 500 pages
2) Read a classic by a POC and/or with a POC as the main character
3) Read a classic that takes place in a country other than where you live
4) Read a classic in translation
5) Read a classic by a new to you author
6) Read a book of poetry
7) Read a classic written between 1800-1860
8) Read a classic written by an LGBT author and/or with an LGBT main character
9) Read a classic written by a woman
10) Read a classic novella
11) Read a classic nonfiction
12) Read a classic that has been banned or censored
FYI: If you’re participating in The Classics Club you can still do this challenge. I’m using the creation of this challenge and the prompts to choose books from my Classics Club list.
Make sure to follow Reading Classic Books on the following platforms because that’s where you’ll find group updates.
- You can also request a Buddy Read on Goodreads for that special book you want to read and enjoy with someone
- There will be some fun instagram challenges